Well, the temperature is finally dropping for us here in Bucharest. After spending a hot summer and pleasant fall, Winter is here. I am glad the temperature is finally falling. Besides, with Thanksgiving approaching, it wouldn't be much of a holiday with warm weather, would it?
However, for some the winter cold is not good news. Many Roma families cannot afford heating and have to spend their days and nights bundled in layers of clothes and blankets for warmth. For most Roma men, this cold weather means they will not find work. At the Ruth School, kids are stuck inside during break time only to make things louder and chaotic. In the fall they are able to go outside, release their energy and enjoy playing with their friends.
For me, I like winter. I love the cold air, the snow falling and all the winter accessories. I like winter because I can afford blankets, warm clothes and heating in my apartment. Hopefully this year I will remember to give thanks for my heating, my blankets and my warm clothes. I don't want to take these things for granted. I want to remember the people who won't have an enjoyable winter because of how little they have. Maybe this will change they way I celebrate the holidays.
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Winter is on its way
Posted by
Susan
at
12:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How cold is it there anyway??? Our high on Saturday (game day) is 45 with 50% rain and 15+mph winds. Sound like fun?
SEND THE COLD OUR WAY!!! We are 70 degrees in December. What is wrong with this picture?? Have a great one.
Post a Comment